Connect with us

News

OAU, FUOYE, Three Other Institutions Disagree With ASUU Over School Resumption

The Congress of University Academics (CONUA) has disagreed with the leadership of Academic Staff Union Of Universities (ASUU) over the resumption of schools.

CONUA which is a parallel body of the ASUU that consists of lecturers from five universities following cracks in the ASUU which members of the new union were Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife; Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Ekpoma; Federal University, Oye Ekiti (FUOYE); Federal University, Lokoja (FUL) and Kwara State University (KWASU), Molete said they were ready to resume work.

This was revealed by the National Coordinator of CONUA on Saturday in a statement he issued after its National Executive Council meeting.

The new Union was announced at the end of its stakeholders’ forum at Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in October 2019.

”CONUA members are ready to resume work.

”Everything necessary in terms of COVID-19 protocols must be put in place before reopening the universities in order to prevent students and staff from contracting the disease.

”The education sector cannot continue to stagnate. As it appears, COVID-19 would continue to be a threat and we must, in the circumstance, learn to strive to lead our normal life

”The Union urges the government to make available everything that can help our universities to resume work as it is being done elsewhere in the world,” he said.

Sunmonu said CONUA condemned the intimidation and harassment of some of its members by some university administrations and other unions within the university system.

He said that freedom of association as entrenched in the Nigerian constitution, a provision which allowed every academic the freedom to join any union of his or her choice.

”No amount of molestation or vilification can take the union away from the path of progressive unionism.

READ ALSO  Drunken Police Sergeant Kills Inspector In Lagos (Graphic Photo)

”Adequate measures, as far as the law and constitution of Nigeria permits, will be taken against anyone who is using intimidation or employing any other odious means to threaten our members,” he said.

Sunmonu lauded university administrations which held meetings to promote academic staff members during the COVID-19 lockdown.

‘The union received information that some universities held Senate meetings and Congregation elections, but refused to convene any meeting to carry out promotion of its members, simply because some people threatened that such promotions, if ever announced, will be reversed.

”CONUA leadership feels outraged by such pronouncements and expresses its resolve to support any effort by university administrations to facilitate the due promotion of academic staff members.’’

Meanwhile, it had earlier been reported that ASUU has maintained it will not suspend the ongoing strike action.

National President of ASUU, Professor Biodun Ogunyemi said this during a stakeholder’s meeting at the Union’s Secretariat at the University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Professor Ogunyemi said the federal government has continually failed to fulfill its Memorandum of Action agreed in 2019, insisting that the federal government may trigger another round of crisis should it force ASUU members into the IPPIS Scheme.

He noted that unlike other sectors, nothing has been put in place by the federal government in accordance with the COVID-19 health protocols for reopening of schools adding that, “Students’ hostels, lecture rooms and laboratories do not meet standards of schools in other countries”, which he said is part of the reasons for the strike.

“The narratives coming from government quarters does not edify what the University stands for. What they have said about us does not represent what we are doing but because they have polluted us with those undeserving of the job.

READ ALSO  ECOWAS Endorses Okonjo-Iweala For WTO DG

“As we speak, IPPIS is recruiting people without subjecting them to due process of employment. They are polluting and diluting the configuration of Academia.

“We will revisit the whole thing after this strike. Any department or Faculty where you think due process was not followed in recruiting staff, reject them. We will stand by you.

“The Nigerian Project cannot be made possible unless our Universities rise to the occasion. Our stakeholders have a duty to listen to all parties.

“The ASUU strike of 2013 that lasted 6months, we wrote about 59 letters and had 20 meetings but in this ongoing strike we’ve written about four letters and we’ve had few meetings. We’ve met with the Senate President and the Speaker and several Ministers but the only language they understand is strike action,” he said.

The ASUU Chairman also accused Vice-Chancellors of diverting funds meant for the revitalization of universities.

He further advised the academic staff to avoid making themselves vulnerable to people he called economic vampires, threatening that plans are on the way to deal with all Vice-Chancellors involved in fraud.

Advertisement CM-FINAL
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

N50,000, N30,000 To Be Distributed Among 433,000 Nigerians, Businesses By FG

Published

on

By

Tola Johnson, Special Assistant to  President Muhammadu Buhari on Micro Small and Medium and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs), says 100,000 small businesses will get N50,000 each.

NAN reports that the gesture is part of COVID-19 economic stimulus.

The presidential aide made the announcement at the inauguration of the Implementation of Survival Fund and Guaranteed Off-Take Stimulus Schemes for MSMEs on Thursday in Abuja.

Johnson, the Project Coordinator, said that the schemes were part of the Economic Sustainability Plan drafted by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo-led committee and approved by President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The Payroll Support targets 100,000 businesses. However, the number of individuals who will benefit from this is 500,000. What the government has done is to say that there a lot of MSMEs that have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown.

“Afterward, there is a CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission) free registration; it is free for the MSMEs but the government is paying the CAC for this. What the government has done is to say to the CAC, you do this regularly to the MSMEs at about N12,000 or thereabout; give it to us at half price, we will give it to the MSMEs free.’’

Johnson added that under the National MSMEs Clinic, Osinbajo and the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment went to no fewer than 26 states.

READ ALSO  FG confirms airports will no longer reopen June 21

He said it was discovered that very creative businesses were not registered.

“They will tell you they don’t have N10,000 to N12,000 to register their businesses. The government had promised that at some point, we will do and I think the opportunity has come now; the opportunity cannot be better than now.’’

The official also announced that under the Survival Fund, the last strap would be the Transport and Artisans Support.

At least 333,000 beneficiaries will get a one-off N30,000 grant, Johnson said.

He added that the government will work with associations, individuals and the Ministry of Transportation to implement the scheme.

Continue Reading

Trending

error: Content is protected !!