N-Power To Absorb 400,000 Applicants For Third Batch
The Federal Government has said 400,000 applicants will be absorbed into the third batch of its N-Power National Social Investment Scheme (NSIP).
Last week, the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development announced that it would begin the enrolment of the third batch of N-Power beneficiaries on June 26, 2020.
The ministry explained that the enrolment will provide opportunities for more Nigerian youths to access the programme, in furtherance of President Muhammadu Buhari’s vision of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty.
The ministry also stated that the current enrolees of the scheme (Batch A) will exit on June 30, 2020 while (Batch B) will exit the programme on July 31, 2020.
The scheme gave further details on Monday on the upcoming enrolment via its official twitter handle: @npower_ng.
The tweet reads: “This week, the N-Power portal will re-open for registration; 400,000 beneficiaries will be taken from the application pool.
“Here are some tips to get ready: get your BVN ready, ensure you are not an existing employee in any organisation, and application is online.”
Reacting to the tweet, some of the current beneficiaries queried the non-payment of their March, April and May allowances.
Responding, the scheme assured that those owed will be paid before they exit the programme.
Also, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Farouk, on Monday said about 12,000 N-Power beneficiaries are yet to be paid their three months’ stipends. The minister said the delay was due to administrative issues, which were being resolved.
Speaking on Monday in Abuja at the briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Farouk said: “As far as the ministry is concerned, we have paid N-Power beneficiaries that have been verified and recommended for payment. We have 500,000 N-Power volunteers.
“On those claiming that they have not been paid, we are looking into these issues with the Office of the Account General of the Federation.”
Tola Johnson, Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Micro Small and Medium and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs), says 100,000 small businesses will get N50,000 each.
NAN reports that the gesture is part of COVID-19 economic stimulus.
The presidential aide made the announcement at the inauguration of the Implementation of Survival Fund and Guaranteed Off-Take Stimulus Schemes for MSMEs on Thursday in Abuja.
Johnson, the Project Coordinator, said that the schemes were part of the Economic Sustainability Plan drafted by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo-led committee and approved by President Muhammadu Buhari.
“The Payroll Support targets 100,000 businesses. However, the number of individuals who will benefit from this is 500,000. What the government has done is to say that there a lot of MSMEs that have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown.
“Afterward, there is a CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission) free registration; it is free for the MSMEs but the government is paying the CAC for this. What the government has done is to say to the CAC, you do this regularly to the MSMEs at about N12,000 or thereabout; give it to us at half price, we will give it to the MSMEs free.’’
Johnson added that under the National MSMEs Clinic, Osinbajo and the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment went to no fewer than 26 states.
He said it was discovered that very creative businesses were not registered.
“They will tell you they don’t have N10,000 to N12,000 to register their businesses. The government had promised that at some point, we will do and I think the opportunity has come now; the opportunity cannot be better than now.’’
The official also announced that under the Survival Fund, the last strap would be the Transport and Artisans Support.
At least 333,000 beneficiaries will get a one-off N30,000 grant, Johnson said.
He added that the government will work with associations, individuals and the Ministry of Transportation to implement the scheme.